Pastel Perspectives: A Journey in Color and Light
A PRE-CONVENTION WORKSHOP WITH ARTIST, AARON SCHUERR
Monday May 20th, 2024 | 7:00am – 2:30pm
(Must be registered for the Convention to attend)
In this workshop, I’m going to take you deeper into the world of pastels and explore how they can become your ultimate tool for capturing beauty.
Whether you’re a seasoned artist or just starting, our focus is on harnessing the power of simplicity and color to bring your visions to life.
This workshop will be broken into two parts – one session in the morning and one session in the afternoon.
– The Travel Pastel Palette: Choosing the right colors for on-the-go painting during the plein air convention can be a challenge. That’s why I’ll show you a strategic process to select the most effective colors, giving you a comprehensive range to suit any scene. This approach means you’ll always be ready to capture each moment exactly as it resonates with you, without feeling limited by your palette
– Color Relativity: Next, we’ll show you how to turn your travel palette into a powerful expression tool… you’ll learn to create vivid color relationships that bring your scenes to life. You’ll learn how to make every color count by balancing hue, value, and chroma!
– Bringing Light to Life in Your Pastel Scenes: You can’t grind light or shadow into a pigment, so how do you create the illusion of light? You’ll learn how when we break down two evening scenes — one leveraging color and one leveraging value. These little subtle shifts will allow you to create stunning, illusions of light in your pastel pieces!
– Less Is Truly More: We’ll wrap up the morning with a hands-on session that focuses on enhancing your pastel scenes by using a minimalist approach of flat shapes and restrained color schemes.This will help you break free from overthinking and guide you towards expressing deeper artistic nuances in your pastel work
This is where we’ll bring all the insights from the morning and prepare for application.
– Demonstration: I’ll provide a step-by-step demonstration on how to weave the morning’s pastel techniques into your own style. So you can take all those fresh ideas you’ve picked and make sure your pieces truly reflect who you are — blending new skills with your unique touch.
– The Plein Air Pastel Blueprint: if you’re worried about feeling overwhelmed by all the info at the Plein-Air Convention, I’ll share some easy-to-digest tips to process it all. And, you’ll get a simple, effective plan to keep your creativity flowing whenever you’re at the easel, leaving you equipped and confident to tackle any artistic challenge.
All levels are welcome. You must be registered to PACE to attend.