Simplifying Complex Compositions
A PRE-CONVENTION WATERCOLOR WORKSHOP
WITH ARTIST AMIT KAPOOR
Monday May 20th, 2024 | 7:00am – 2:30pm
(Must be registered for the Convention to attend)
What makes one painting immediately draw the eye, while others seem incomplete — despite having the same mix of colors, values, and details?
What makes one weave a compelling story while another fails to engage?
If these questions have ever left you frustrated or scratching your head, then here’s your ‘aha moment.’
The secret often lies in the composition.
Composition orchestrates each element on the canvas to work in harmony — to tell a story that captivates and resonates.
Yet, for many artists, diving into composition feels overwhelming… Like the tricky part of painting that’s hard to get right — equal parts ‘magic’ and good luck.
That’s exactly why I’m going to show you how to simplify complicated compositions and break them down into easy, impressionistic steps.
In this workshop you’ll discover how to convey your ideas with clarity while breathing life and drama into your scenes in a way guaranteed to engage and move people.
All levels welcome. Must purchase a ticket to the Plein Air Convention to attend.
Here’s the structured roadmap of what we’ll cover:
- I’ll share details about my education, my sources of inspiration, and the themes that are central to my paintings. This session aims to broaden your artistic understanding and inspire your own creative path.
- You’ll learn the strategies I’ve used to successfully connect with clients and sell my artwork so you’ll have practical strategies to market your own art.
- I’ll reveal my personal selection of tools and materials, explaining their roles in creating quality art. You’ll learn how mastery of the right tools can significantly influence your artistic outcomes.
- Thumbnail Creation: We’ll explore the process of creating thumbnails, emphasizing their importance in the planning stage of your artwork.
- Sketching Fundamentals: Discover the critical role of drawing and sketching in laying a solid groundwork for your compositions.
- At the heart of this workshop is the Fundamentals of Composition with a focus on ‘Golden Rules.’ This lesson is designed to elevate your ability to create balanced, visually appealing artworks.
- I’ll then do a complete cityscape demonstration where I’ll guide you through techniques to effectively capture light and shadow to create volume, depth, weight and distance in your painting. This will bring a sense of realism to your urban scenes.
- We’ll conclude with a detailed second demonstration focused on composition of water and boats. We’ll pay special attention to achieving realistic water reflections — a key element in bringing any maritime scene to life.
After this workshop, you’ll feel comfortable with even the trickiest compositions — gaining skills that will immediately improve your paintings forevermore.