The cocktail party will begin right after the opening ceremony. Be sure to look in your registration bag for a ticket you can exchange for a complimentary drink. After that, there will be a cash bar. Light foods will be served. Casual dress is appropriate!
ART MARKETING BOOT CAMP with ERIC RHOADS (Bonus Sessions – No Extra Fee)
- On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings from 6:30-7:45am, plan to attend the BONUS Art Marketing Boot Camp sessions.
- Each year, Eric presents information on what’s working right now in art marketing.
- Sessions from previous years are available for immediate viewing when you order the Art Marketing Boot Camp streaming versions at PaintTube.tv
- Bring a notepad and join the other early birds who, like you, want to get serious about selling their artwork.
On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings, everyone gathers at 8am in the Main Hall for ‘Home Room’. We’ll let everyone know what’s in store for the day, make announcements, and give away prizes. Yes, you read that correctly — we’ll be giving away prizes! Don’t miss it!
See your souvenir program for special evening sessions. There will be a nocturne paint-out, pastel, oil, and digital demos to choose from.
- When you arrive and check in for the convention, you’ll get a bag full of goodies. There, you’ll find a raffle ticket. Fill that out and place it in the box BEFORE the start of convention.
- Giveaways will be held when everyone is together in the Main Hall, before presentations, and during Home Room. If you have any questions about where to drop off your raffle ticket, stop and ask at the Help Desk, or any of the staff or volunteers can direct you.
- During the paint-outs, many of our stage faculty and additional “field instructors” will be set up and painting, too. You can observe them, ask questions, and even ask for help with your own painting.
- You can spot the field instructors by their green hats, flags, and signs.
- If you’d like help from a field instructor, find the “Faculty Stop Here” card that will be in your convention bag. Wave that card so roaming faculty members know you’d like some help. Don’t clip it to your easel because it may get overlooked.
ART SHOW & SALE
- A great chance to view and buy paintings by faculty members and convention attendees. If you’d like to sell your artwork in the show, find all the details here.
- Many artists will make their demonstration paintings available for sale via the Art Show & Sale. Please do not approach artists directly to purchase.
- Artists wishing to sell their paintings will arrange with the Art Show & Sale staff to have their artwork displayed with a completed tag.
- Remember that many of these paintings will still be wet, so please use caution. If there is high demand, a lottery will be held to determine who can purchase the painting.
- You are on your own for most meals. The Buffalo Thunder has several restaurants and we have arranged for some other quick-serve options to be available as well.
- Hors d’oeuvres will be served at the cocktail party on opening night.
- A hot, stand-up breakfast will be served on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday mornings from 6:30-8:00am (just before Art Marketing Boot Camp begins).
- You are the one who knows your nutritional needs the best. Please plan for snacks, sack lunches, etc. as needed. When you’re headed for a meal, take a chance and invite someone with a convention badge to go along with you. You already know what the conversation will be about!
There is ample, free parking at the hotel
Thursday, 7:30pm — Save some energy from the afternoon paint-out at El Rancho de las Golondrinas and come along to the great closing-night party in the Main Stage Ballroom. Casual attire welcome or plan to dress in western-theme,
PHOTOS, VIDEO, AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Please do NOT video or Facebook Live any sessions. Doing so could get you evicted from the convention. Photos are acceptable at all times. Use #PACE22 when posting on social media. Be sure to get your photos with your favorite faculty in front of the PACE backdrop, and have your photo taken in front of our Santa Fe backdrop.
HOW THE CONVENTION WORKS
- You paid to attend the Plein Air Convention, and those who did not pay will not be allowed to enter.
- Entry requires a badge that will be provided at check-in and there will be security checks at the doors. Please do not encourage friends to “crash” or sneak in; we are charged for every person who enters. We don’t like being in the position of having to turn people away. Thank you.
- Keep track of your badge. If you give it to someone else or lose it, we cannot replace it. If we find you’ve given your badge to someone to get in and you’ve requested a new badge, you will be evicted from the convention without refund and will not be allowed to attend future conventions. Unfortunately, this harsh practice has become necessary.
- Guards will be stationed at doors and instructed not to allow anyone to talk their way in without a badge.
Your badge gets you into everything except the Basics Course and the Kevin Macpherson Workshop, each of which is optional and requires an additional fee. Other than these two optional events, there’s no need to register for any other workshops or sign up for anything special. Just show up and enjoy!
Convention staff are ready to assist and will be clearly visible in royal blue shirts. Please don’t hesitate to ask a staff member, volunteer, or Help Desk staff for any assistance you may need.
SITTING UP NIGHTS
Lots of the fun at PACE is sitting up late talking to old friends and meeting new ones. This year we’ve imported some musicians to keep the music going into the evenings. Enjoy. This is your chance to get away from your busy life, cut loose, and have fun.
While at the convention, visit the PleinAir Store. We’ll be offering instructional videos at deeply discounted, convention-only prices. In addition, you can purchase shirts, hats, products such as books and art tools offered by some of the faculty artists, and our very popular paint aprons. We offer limited stock on all items so if you like it, buy it before it sells out.
NEXT YEAR’S CONVENTION
- On the last day of PACE, we’ll reveal where we’re planning to meet up next year.
- Hold the dates of May 21- 25, 2023 on your calendar now.
- When we make the big announcement, you’ll be offered a very special registration price for next year’s PACE. This price will be lower than we’ll ever offer it again.
- You’ll get that special price only if you sign up on the day of the announcement (or before the end of the current convention).
- Because we want current attendees to have the first chance to register for next year at the special price, we’ll only offer this deal one time.
- The majority of people at PACE sign up for next year’s event so we encourage you to really think about it now so you don’t miss your chance to be one of the very first artists to register for next year and get in at the lowest price.
- Remember, you must turn in your registration form by the end of the convention, no exceptions. Please check the dates in advance so you can hold your seat. Though these seats can be canceled, if you cancel and change your mind, you’ll have to pay the current rate if you sign up again.
TRAVELING WITH PAINTS AND SUPPLIES
If you plan to paint with us, you will need paints and supplies. Most, if not all, of what you’ll need can be purchased in our giant Expo Hall once you arrive — easels, tripods, panels, paint, brushes, and pretty much everything you’ll need. If you are planning to bring your own supplies, here is some helpful information:
The following is important if you are traveling via commercial airline:
The TSA will not allow solvent in carry-on or checked baggage. Solvent will be available for purchase at the event from Gamblin at their booth, or at local art stores. Gamblin will also collect and recycle used solvent. Bring a vessel to store solvent in once there. Do not pour solvent down the drains. Also, please be cautious with wet paint in your hotel room, and do not clean brushes in sinks. Any cleaning fees will be billed to you.
The following items must be checked and cannot be in carry-on baggage:
- Mediums for oils, acrylic, and watercolor
- Palettes with paint on them
- Containers carrying paint out of the tube
- Sharp tools like knives, palette knives, razor blades, or scissors
The following items may be carried on:
- Easels in backpacks
- Clean palettes
- Pan watercolors
- Canvases, panels, and paper
- Drawing materials (pencils, pens, charcoal, erasers, conte)
- Paint cups, trays, and empty vessels for water and solvents
- Headlamp for outdoor nocturne painting (if you’d like to attend a nocturne session)
- Bottles of ink (3 oz. or under only)
- Hand wipes/paper towels
- Plastic gloves (for those who use them)
Another option is to ship your items to the hotel ahead of time — this will work only if you are staying at the convention hotel, the Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino. The hotel staff have asked that if you intend to ship items to yourself, DO NOT mention PACE on the label (or it may get delivered to us and misplaced among all of our convention boxes). Please use the address below:
Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino
30 Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506
Hold for (name of guest, arrival date)
1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc.
We’re looking forward to seeing you in Santa Fe for the best Plein Air Convention & Expo ever!